Can learning communities get too big?

Yes.  I think learning communities can get too big.  

I've joined several communities and networks around podcasting as I've tried to grow my show to help it reach a larger audience.  And while some networks do start out great, too often when they reach a critical mass, it turns more into the same few questions getting asked over and over.  There is still good debate and collaboration, but it seems not as much as we wished it to be.

After some frustrations, another podcaster and I started our own Master Mind group for podcasters geared towards agriculture.  Now the four of us did sort of know each other first, but none of us have met just yet.  

Each month, we make it a point to listen to each other episodes, write down some feedback, take feedback, and discuss other key items like social media use, monetizing, etc.  It's turned into a great little community that has genuinely helped out each of our shows.  We are just honest and open about our processes, goals, and frustrations, and you can really see this in each meeting.  

I do believe you can do this in much larger groups, but it probably (definitely) takes a lot of planning and commitment.  Which is great, if you have that time.  

Maybe we will get there, but we aren't there yet.

For now, our little podcasting community is staying strong at 4.  

So maybe 4 is the perfect number.  

Or maybe 400.  

So if you are in any learning communities or networks, how large are they and do you think that's a positive or a negative?  Let me know!

Comments

  1. This is a great point TW. It does seem that something is lost when the online community reaches such a high level. I wonder if this could be remedied at least a little by the core members or original smaller group acting as moderators of the discussion to some extent. By making sure that new topics and ideas are covered they could have conversations relevant for all and perhaps refer newer members back to older conversations that are being repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey TW! Thank you for the query. I was reflecting on this while watching Dr. Dennenʻs VoiceThread on PLNs. I sometimes get overwhelmed with synthesizing the learning communities I am a part of into my own PLN. I think I have gained the most personally from smaller learning communities, like the one you describe. In one of the readings this week, I found a framework suggested for educators/professionals to use to enhance their PLNs in response to the very issues you mentioned (Krutka, D. G., Carpenter, J. P., & Trust, T. (2017). Enriching professional learning networks: A framework for identification, reflection, and intention - did you read it?). I like the suggestions they offer, but havenʻt personally used the framework so I canʻt say much more than that. Helpful starting points though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are we all digital natives?

The Ice Bucket Challange

Technology is getting scary good.