Are we all digital natives?

 No, I don't think so.  And here is why.

Anytime an iPhone update happens, I ALWAYS get a call from my parents.  Or, anytime I visit my grandparents, they greet me with a quick, "Hey son how are you?  Could you fix our printer?"

I was always curious as to why this is. Indeed, my parents and grandparents, who are all super smart, could figure out even what I might consider trivial tech problems, right?

Not exactly.  Younger people (I feel really old for saying that) have experienced countless changes with technology over the years.  From going to dial-up internet to wifi, flip phones to iPhones, and even huge desktop computers to building our own gaming computers after watching a few YouTube videos.  We are used to technology.  And honestly, technology has grown alongside us.  As we grow older, most technologies are becoming easier to use because we get more and more used to them.

Older generations, not so much.  Most of their lives were spent without internet, tv, and countless other devices.  It isn't that they aren't smart enough to figure it out.  It's just that it wasn't as ingrained into their life, or even upbringing, as it is now.

Think of it like this.  I'm sure you've seen little kids in strollers watching videos or playing games on iPads.  I mean, really, who hasn't.  Think, 15 or even 20 years down the road.  That kid is going to have an understanding of technology so great because they were exposed at an early, early age.  Some might even say too early.  Older generations didn't have that.  Instead, they were playing catch up as society quickly adapted and used countless technologies.

The term, "Digital Native" really does make more sense to me now and I can see that my generation, millennials, are just used to all sorts of tech.  We are in fact, digital natives.  It doesn't make us better at life in any way shape or form.  It just makes us more unique.  

I think there might be something to say for creating technology or educational programs for older generations to learn how to use technology.  Maybe that would help with their struggles.

Or better yet, I can act as a bridge and help those around me with their relationships with technology.  Not letting them feel like I'm solving their problems, but that I am helping them expand their relationship with technology.


Comments

  1. I agree millennials, Gen Z-ers, Gen Alpha (hopefully they come up with a better name than that) would be Digital Natives. We grew up with technology and can understand it each time technology advances. Hopefully I'll still understand it when I'm 70 haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great point, when tech advances we are just used to it. But older generations get more and more behind with each update.

      Delete
  2. Great thoughts. We moved back to Florida to help out with 3 sets of parents. All with great education, great life experiences, and a questioning out look on life. But most of the time, somewhere in the convo, it happens....can you look at (fill in the blank). I get it but, but I also do not get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share that feeling! My dad is one smart guy but for the life of him, he can't figure out tech!

      Delete
  3. I'm on the fence here. Gen X. My parents are Boomers. We're all good with the tech. Sometimes my sisters (Millenials) and I have to explain social media trends or lingo at first to the folks, but they are swiping and tapping and updating and posting ... My in-laws (Silent Generation) are very much of the "tap tap tap ... is this thing on?" group. Four generations in this example. Only the oldest one struggles. I think it's an individual mindset for a lot of folks rather than a truly ingrained generational difference (and I've had to teach a ton of undergrads a thing or two about tech ...).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey TW, while I do think there is something to the claims that digital natives have, on average, a better grasp of technology, I wonder if you took a look at some of the articles this week that challenged Prensky's claims about digital natives vs immigrants. I found myself frustrated a little bit by some of the claims from Prensky that he did not back up with specific data. For instance that people have changed "brain structures" due to technology or that technology has led to different political or ethical systems. While not necessarily disagreeing with this, I would have liked for Prensky to flush it out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ice Bucket Challange

Technology is getting scary good.