Reddit: The Front Page of the Internet

 I haven't used Reddit in a long, long time.  It's super refreshing to dive back in a see what makes this site one of the most popular forums on the internet.  

One of the most interesting aspects is that all the content is user-controlled, at least to my understanding.  On different threads (topics), moderators, aka real Reddit users, can essentially control content in that if any moderators see content as inappropriate or off-topic, they can remove said content or even the users from the thread.  One actual funny topic on this. I've got a podcast on farming and tech in the agriculture space, so every now and then I would go on Reddit and post my podcast on different threads.  I jumped onto the Farming thread and posted about the show.  I accidentally skipped over the rules of the thread and wound up getting banned!  The rules states "no self-promotion" which makes sense, but something I certainly should have paid attention to.  

I like this control on sites.  It allows moderators, aka passionate people on certain topics, to control and keep out any wrong information or even just negativity.  Maybe we could use this on more sites like Facebook or even YouTube instead of allowing the corporations to control the content.

It seems that there is a lot of trust in these communities towards the moderators and I'm hoping to get more insight into this as I study the Destiny 2 Reddit over the course of the next week as part of this assignment.  

Time to get on Reddit for more research!  

Comments

  1. It seems that moderators on subReddits work pretty well and have a high level of credibility. Evidence: I tried to post questions on hiking/camping subreddits several times, but all were removed from them! haha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are we all digital natives?

The Ice Bucket Challange

Technology is getting scary good.