Finding some learning communities

For our next assignment, the full version of Community Norms instructs us to find two online communities and identify several factors such as strengths and weaknesses as well as factors towards how those communities are sustained over the long run.  This assignment is actually really, really interesting in that it allows us to look for trends, identify successful engagement strategies, etc.  And for someone like myself that is trying to build an online community, this will be extremely helpful.

The first community that I will be observing is the Florida Lawn Care Nuts on Facebook.  First, go ahead and break out your New Balance sneakers because this one really makes me feel like an old man.  This page is for people who love DIY lawn care and getting their lawns as pristine as the greens at the Agustina National golf course.  Members share tips and tricks, best practices, and generally, just share any knowledge they have.  I've asked countless questions in this group and try to participate in discussions when they pertain to something I might know.  It's been very helpful as I try to rejuvenate my yard without breaking the bank.  It will be fun to keep track of this community and see if there are any trends.

The second group I will keep an eye on will be the Destiny 2 community on Reddit.  Destiny 2 is a super fun game I play online with several friends that includes some amazing story notes, fun gameplay, and just a unique community feel.  I've followed the development of this game as well as the community since it came out in 2016.  Bungie, the developers of the game, is fantastic at communicating with their player base.  As for the player base, it's pretty darn vocal and voices any frustrations or pain points from new content, in-game changes, etc.  It'll be fun to watch this community especially since it coincides with the release of a new seasonal activity.  

Oh, also the Destiny 2 Reddit has some amazing memes that I always love seeing.

These communities are really different but I'm still expecting to find several similarities in how they operate as well as how users engage with one another. 

Who knows.  Maybe by the time this assignment is over, I'll have a perfect yard and be a pro Destiny 2 player.

I doubt it, but you never know!

Comments

  1. As soon as you said break out the new balance sneakers... I got the image of a dad admiring his lawn, getting ready for a cook out. haha. Those are very different communities. I'm interested to find what similarities there will be between the two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are we all digital natives?

The Ice Bucket Challange

Technology is getting scary good.